Why do I need to validate my company's tax ID (EU VAT ID) for an order that I placed with my company's billing information?
If your company is registered in the EU, and you provide us with an EU VAT ID (TAX ID) when you place your order, your order will be exempt from taxes. EK is obligated to validate your VAT ID before processing your order by EU legislation. You can read more on the importance and meaning of VAT IDs here.
After you've placed your order, we will validate your EU VAT ID before completing it using the VIES EU validation application. We can validate most of the VAT ID numbers without any issues. However, if we find the VIES EU VAT ID validation application cannot confirm your company ID, we will reach out to validate it manually. Typically, these errors happen due to one of the reasons listed below. To resolve the error, follow the recommended steps written next to the description of the error.
- The company VAT ID you submitted is incorrect. Please check if the ID you added to your account is correct, and if it isn't, correct it to prevent similar issues with your future orders. To go forward with your order, provide us with the information listed in the section The information we need to process your order.
- Your company VAT ID expired. To resolve and troubleshoot this issue, reach out to your fiscal administration. Once you've resolved the problem with your fiscal administration, please provide us with the information listed in the section The information we need to process your order. If you cannot provide us with an updated VAT ID, no worries, you still have options to proceed with your order.
- Technical difficulties between local tax registries. As this is a system error, you don't have to do anything besides provide us with the information listed in the section The information we need to process your order.
- If you have a German or Spanish VAT number, we can only check them manually, as the validation system requires precise entry of the company name, address, and VAT ID. In this case, we can only validate your ID if you provide the tax registry documents. To go forward with your order, provide us with the information listed in the section The information we need to process your order.
The information we need to process your order
If we find we cannot confirm your company ID, we will put your order on hold and contact you to provide an extract from the national tax registry of the company's country of registry, which includes the following information:
- Company EU VAT ID number
- Company Name
- The address you registered your company under
If you have any additional questions about the process, reach out to our customer service, and we'll be happy to guide you through it.