If you're experiencing a leaking water block or reservoir in your build, it's essential to address the issue promptly to prevent any damage to your components. Follow this step-by-step troubleshooting guide to identify and fix the problem.
1. Turn off your system:
- Before starting any troubleshooting, shut down your computer and turn off the power supply to avoid any potential electrical hazards.
2. Perform a visual inspection:
- Carefully inspect the water block and reservoir for any visible signs of leaks, such as water droplets, wet spots, or dampness. Identify the approximate location of the leak, which can help narrow down the possible causes.
3. Check for loose screws:
- Ensure that all screws and fittings on the water block or reservoir are tightened securely. Even a slightly loose screw can cause a leak. Use the appropriate tools to tighten the screws gently, making sure not to overtighten, as this may damage the components.
4. Inspect O-rings:
- The O-rings are essential seals that prevent leaks between different parts of the water block or reservoir. Check each O-ring for signs of damage, wear, or pinching.
5. Look for cracks in the plexi:
- The plexiglass (plexi) material used in some water blocks and reservoirs can develop cracks over time due to stress or mishandling. Carefully examine the plexi components for any cracks or fractures. If you discover any, you may need to replace the affected parts.
6. Verify correct re-assembly:
- If you have recently disassembled and reassembled your cooling loop, it's possible that the leak is a result of improper re-assembly. Review the installation process and make sure all components are correctly aligned and installed in the right order. Pay special attention to the alignment of O-rings and other seals.
7. Check tubing connections:
- Leaks can also occur at the tubing/fitting connections. Ensure that the tubing/fitting is securely attached to the water block, reservoir, and other components of the loop. Check for any visible wear or damage on the tubing, and replace it if necessary.
Always follow the guidelines and recommendations for maintenance and assembly to ensure the best performance and reliability of your liquid cooling system.
When finding the root cause of the leak and if the upper steps do not help we suggest documenting (video) it and sharing the info with our support.